Program Preparation Guidelines: Sophomore Students
Now that you are in your second year, you are probably about to declare your major. Think about how your studies prepare you for your future career plans. Pair your academic studies with great “real life” professional experiences. Sophomores with a B or better in upper-division courses are welcome to apply.
What can I work on now?
- As a second-year student, you may apply for the Washington Program now by clicking the following link and clicking "Apply Now": Application instructions.
- Meet with your academic advisor. Solidify your 4-year plan and figure out when you have a quarter that will allow you to go to DC.
- Visit the ICC and set up a Handshake account. Check out jobs/internships, learn tons at a workshop, have your resume and cover letter reviewed, and do a mock interview. This is a great way to prepare your resume for our application.
- Explore different career paths. Visit career fairs, get a part-time job, volunteer, secure an internship— figure out what you want to do when you graduate. This makes it easier to find an internship once you are in the Washington Program.
- Build relationships with supervisors and faculty members. Continue to develop relationships with those who can offer advice regarding where to apply when it comes time to find an internship in DC and can serve as a reference.
- Gain professional experience. Explore different careers by interning, volunteering and working in a field related to your future career plans. The more experience you have, the better you are able to narrow down internship searches.
- Stay academically strong. We (and some internships) take a look at your transcript when making our decision. Make sure you prioritize your studies so your transcript supports your application. Once you have earned 89.9 credits, you are welcome to apply.
- Learn about the Washington Program. Go ahead and visit our website, come to an info session, drop by and say hello, or send us an email.
- Join our listserv. We send students on our listserv lots of helpful information about new developments with the program, changes in deadlines, and special events. Sign up so that we can let you know the latest and greatest about the Washington Program!
- Friend us, pin us, and follow us! Check out our LinkedIn, Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter pages to learn more about the program, Washington Program participants, and receive all the updates.
Attend an Information Session
Meet Washington Program staff and ambassadors! Come join us for a brief overview of the program followed by a Q & A session. For more information on time, date, and room, visit this page.
Meet with an Advisor
Our office is in The Grove (formerly Surge III), Room 1350. We welcome you to come in during our drop-in advising hours or request an appointment by emailing email@example.com. Please include the days and times you are available to meet, and someone will get back to you.