Program Preparation Guidelines: First Year Students
Welcome to UC Davis! Your first year is an exciting time to explore all the opportunities UC Davis has to offer. Take advantage of new opportunities and resources offered by Davis and start to explore different career paths. This flyer will help you with the steps you can make as a first year toward being eligible to participant in the Washington Program.
WHAT CAN I WORK ON NOW?
- Meet with your academic advisor to prepare a four year plan and decide which quarter(s) would be best to plan to go to DC.
- Visit the ICC and set up an Aggie Job Link account to check out what jobs/ internships are available and take advantage of the advising and workshops provided through the Internship and Career Center. This is also a great place to have your resume and cover letter reviewed and get advice about interviewing.
- Explore different career paths. Visit career fairs, get a part time job, volunteer, secure an internship— figure out what you want to do when you graduate. This makes it easier to find an internship once you are in the Washington Program.
- Build relationships with supervisors and faculty members. These people can help provide letters of recommendation for our program and your internships. They also may be able to offer advice regarding where to apply when it comes time to find an internship in DC.
- Gain professional experience. Getting a job or internship is a great way to meet people on campus or in Davis. Having professional experience also makes you a more competitive candidate when it comes time to apply to internships.
- Stay academically strong. We (and some internships) take a look at your transcript when making our decision. Make sure you prioritize your studies so your transcript supports your application. If you find yourself struggling, look to resources on campus for support.
- Learn about the Washington Program. Go ahead and visit our website, come to an info session, drop by and say hello, or send us an email. Let us know what questions you have and explore what interning in DC can offer you.
- Join our listserv. We send students on our listserv lots of helpful information about new developments with the program, changes in deadlines, and special events. Sign up so that we can let you know the latest and greatest about the Washington Program!
- Friend us, pin us, and follow us! Check out our LinkedIn, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter pages to learn more about the program, Washington Program participants, and receive all the updates.
Attend an Information Session
Meet Washington Program staff and ambassadors! Come join us for a brief overview of the program followed by a Q & A session. For more information on time, date, and room, visit this page.